While a lot of people rant on about the A-List and Z-List of bloggers, Tony Hung of Deep Jive Interests offers “A List Types Refuse to Acknowledge Blogging’s Blue Collar Class”:
But with the rhetoric once again reaching shrill levels, …there’s one thing that Jeff Jarvis, Jason Calacanis, or any other A-list blogger fails to recognize. And that’s a whole other class of bloggers who blog for a very different reason that other bloggers blog.
I refer to them as the blue-collar class of bloggers.
They’re not out their writing and contributing so that they can look smart and feel good about themselves when they get dugg. They’re out there writing and blogging to make a few sheckels for themselves and their families. Some are stay at home moms. Others are students. Others are individuals who are just trying to make a few ends meet. Others are just curious.
They’re the guys who are trying to optimize their Adsense pages, learning about arbitrage, and who read Problogger for helpful hints on making a few bucks.
They’re blogging for very different reasons than other bloggers — and they’re not ashamed to say so.
…Blue collar bloggers are just trying to make do with what they’ve got…
The article defends PayPerPost and other advertising techniques often criticized by more popular bloggers, but the point I really enjoyed in the article is the recognition of the “workers” in the blogosphere, the ones who are out there contributing, doing their best to lend their voice to the crowd, and if they make a shekel or three along the way, it only serves to spread the wealth.
Personally, I am not a fan of ads on blogs. Not that there shouldn’t be any, just that there should be some taste when using ads on blogs. There is a growing trend for top notch bloggers, who blog for their business not blog as a business, who are dropping all ads or at least pruning down the ad clutter because that is what their audience wants, and it works for their market.
Still, it’s not often the blue collar bloggers get recognized. They deserve tons of credit. Well done!
- Blogging Weather and Video Blogging
- Local Blogging Tour Guides – Cornfield Mazes, Cabins, Flying, Satellite Photos, and Landmarks
- Thank a Blogger Today
- Blogging Going to the Birds
- Blogs About Hurricane Katrina
- Alaska Airlines and Jeremy Hermanns – Airline Mishap Meets Blogging Power
- Celebrity Blog for Hope
- Whose Blogging? Celebrity Blogs on the Rise
- Blogging About Disabilities
- Blogging Katrina Upclose and Personal
- TV Squad – Blogging Community About What’s On Television
- PhD Bloggers
- Bragging on Greg Balanko-Dickson
- The Oldest Living Blogger – 84 years and blogging
- Music Bloggers
- Have Your Favorite Bloggers and Blogs Run Out of Steam
- Women Bloggers: How Many and Why Aren’t There Enough
- WordPress.com Top Blogs of the Day
- Adoring Nerds: Science Blogs and Bloggers
- Bloggers Make a Difference – Taking On The Auto Industry
- Corporate Bloggers Blogging for Business
Site Search Tags: bloggers, blogging, bloggers blogging, blue collar bloggers, working bloggers, tony hung, ads on blogs, advertising, money-making blogs, making money with blogs, blog business
Copyright Lorelle VanFossen, member of the 9Rules Network Subscribe