In Lorelle’s WordPress School free online course last week, we covered:
- WordPress School: Video
- WordPress School: Links
- WordPress School: Gallery
- WordPress School: Sharing WordPress Links
- WordPress Lessons: All the HTML You Need to Know
This week, the 6th in this year-long series, we continue with the Article Series on your test site.
We will cover:
- Creating the fourth article in the article series, the quote and citation post
- Making intrasite links to the posts in the series
- Taking the first steps in customizing the look and feel of your site by changing the header art
- Exploring the post and Page slug
- Change the background image for the site’s design
The learning just doesn’t stop.
The WordPress School Google+ Community Discussions and Assignment
Current assignments and discussions include:
- Share Your Tagline
- WordPress Feature Presentation
- What Tools, Software, or Programs Do You Use to Write, Edit, and Publish in WordPress?
- Where to find copyright free, royalty free, and public domain images?
- What Graphic Program Do You Use and Recommend?
- Why Learn WordPress
If you are new to the Community, join us by by responding to the assignment posts rather than starting your own thread on the assignment discussion. This keeps the discussions together so we can learn from each other as we work on each assignment.
Lorelle’s WordPress School is Like Stargate SG-1
On a whim, I decided for the umpteenth time to watch the long-running science fiction show, Stargate. What a brilliant premise. Great characters explored new worlds and confronted awesome enemies that were all human-like as the various aliens that came before had used humans to seed the Stargate universe. For 10 years, the longest-running North American science fiction television series kept us glued to our seats as the SG-1 team fought against the Goa’uld of our mythology, the Replicators (technology horrors), and the Ori (omnipotence to the death), then stretched further into the crazies of the universe with Stargate Atlantis and Stargate Universe, etc. into the future with a possible reboot set of movies under consideration like the Star Trek franchise reboot.
In the television series, the Stargate was new and they had no idea what was out there. Everything was new and exciting, and overwhelming, and they made mistakes. Wow, did they make mistakes. But they learned. They learned and kept going.
[Catherine Langford is about to go through the Stargate for the first time.]
Col. O’Neill: It’s a piece of cake.
[They go through.]
Dr. Jackson: You okay?
Catherine Langford: That was some piece of cake.
The Torment of Tantalus
Lorelle’s WordPress School is just a piece of cake. It is also the place to make mistakes. I expect many mistakes. This is why you were to create a test site upon which to inflict your mistakes.
As we go forward in this course, you will be modeling and remodeling, breaking things, fixing things, and breaking more things. Don’t worry, WordPress can take it.
In fact, that is part of the exploration of WordPress that is most fascinating to me, and how it most resembles Stargate.
The possibilities are endless, and anything is possible.
This is a tutorial from Lorelle’s WordPress School. For more information, and to join this free, year-long, online WordPress School, see:
- Lorelle’s WordPress School Introduction
- Lorelle’s WordPress School Description
- WordPress School Tutorials List
- WordPress School Google+ Community
- WordPress Publishing Checklist
- How to Give Feedback and Criticism