Demian Farnworth of Copyblogger wrote a brilliant article, “5 1/2 Reasons You Should Kill a Draft Blog Post. It’s today’s blog exercise.
In summary, Demian’s tips are:
- The idea sounds bad to you days later.
- It’s likely to create controversy you don’t want.
- It looks like something you wrote last year.
- It looks like stolen content.
- It looks shallow.
- It looks like a lunatic wrote it.
On an off day, my posts resembled that before you see them.
And sometimes, you will never see them because they are unfixable.
Demian has summed up your blog exercise today.
Create a list from his article and print it out and tape it to the wall right next to your computer monitor – hell, tape it to the monitor or keyboard so your eyes will see it before you ever hit the publish or send button.
Then turn your new radar eyes on the content sitting in your drafts. Scan them with those points in mind. Sounds bad? Shallow? Crazy? Slinging gas on a fire? Blast it to the trash bin.
Remember that old chair you thought you could fix? The one sitting in the garage, taking up space, creating a fine home for spiders and mice? It was a good chair in its day. Served many a behind well. But it’s broke. It’s become a “roundtoit” project, something you will do when you get time and ’round to it. These are your drafts. Sometimes a draft is worth fixing. So fix it already. Sometimes the draft needs a trip to the bins.
There are always great ideas. We’re all full of them. I never said every idea was an idea worth following up on or letting see the light of virtual day.
To help you understand that not every idea is a good idea to publish, here is a quick summary list of the worst ideas in history – biased opinions of course, but some of these met all my qualifications for bad, shallow, crazy, and just plain dumb – favorites – bad engagement photos, Ryanair’s standing only flights, and Western Union turning down the telephone because they thought it was a joke.
- Complete List – Top 10 Bad Beverage Ideas – TIME
- The 10 Worst Band Names in the History of Mandkind – dishmag
- The Top Ten Worst Musical Collaborations in Recent History | Elite Daily
- Top 10 Worst Moments in Human History – Listverse
- NT let’s talk worst uniform ideas in sports history
- 10 Worst Ideas In The History Of Science | Weekly World News
- BuddyTV Slideshow | Mommy Dearest: 25 Bad TV Moms
- The Worst Ideas In Portable Gaming History – Business Insider
- The 25 Worst Business Failures in History – Business Pundit
- The 21 Dumbest Ideas In The History Of Humankind – Buzzfeed
- Crazy Cheesy Crust pizza: 5 worst ideas in pizza history
- 6 Spectacularly Bad Ideas From History’s Greatest Geniuses | Cracked.com
- FAIL: 20 Worst Engagement Photos in the History of Marriage | HEAVY
- Worst Ideas in the History of Air Travel – Hotel Club
- The Stupidest Business Decisions in History – Neatorama
- 55 Worst Ideas in Music History on Slacker
- Induction Special: The 10 Worst Title Awardings in Wrestling History! – Wrestle Crap
- Xark! the 7 Worst Ideas in History