The Uncategorized category appears in your Categories and Tags list or clouds. In tag clouds, the larger the word, the more posts with that tag.
If Uncategorized is clearly visible in these lists, what message does that send?
If you are uncategorized with your blog, it’s time to clean up your categorizes and start uncategorizing yourself.
Your Blog Exercises today is to clean out all those uncategorized posts from your site. Put them back where they belong in a category.
If the post is beyond categorization, consider deleting it. If it really is uncategorizable, get rid of it.
When you are done and the posts in the Uncategorized category are gone, it’s time to do away with it completely. The following are instructions for removing a category in WordPress. Check with your publishing platform instructions for their method.
- Go to Settings > Writing in the WordPress Administration Panels.
- Go to Default Post Category.
- From the drop down menu, select the category you wish to be set as the new default.
- Click Save Changes.
- Go to Posts > Categories.
- Hover over the Uncategorized category and choose Delete. This is permanent so choose carefully.
When you publish a post without a category, it will automatically be categorized by the default category.
For more details and information, see Adding, Deleting, and Changing a WordPress Category.