Blog Security is one of the top security blogs out there keeping an eye on all things blog security and WordPress. They’ve just released two great articles WordPress fans need to check out.
First is news of a video and blog post by Guvnr called “10 Tips to Make WordPress Hack Proof. The effort involved tips from BlogSecurity’s popular WordPress Security Whitepaper, inspiring them to update and improve it soon.
The second is “How to Firewall Your WordPress Blog” by Jaimie Sirovich of SEO Egghead guest blogging on BlogSecurity. He covers options to help you make your WordPress blog more secure with a variety of WordPress Plugins.
Don’t forget that the best line of defense protection for your WordPress blog begins with a strong password, followed by regularly upgrading your WordPress blog, especially after mandatory security alerts.
There is a lot of misinformation on the web about blog and WordPress Security. Many will tell you that CAPTCHAs and their paid services will protect you and your WordPress blog. They will give you a lot of out-dated steps to take. Don’t be fooled. Get your information from the official and reputable WordPress resources. WordPress is inherently secure. It should be. It is used by some of the top government agencies in the United States and around the world.
The current version of WordPress is very secure with no critical security vulnerabilities reported since its release. There are, however, some security issues with WordPress Plugins so make sure you check in with your favorite WordPress Plugin authors and your Plugins Panel for updates on a regular basis.
Here are some reliable articles on blog and WordPress security:
- Lorelle on The Blog Herald – Protect Your Blog With a Solid Password
- Smashing Magazine – 10 Steps To Protect The Admin Area In WordPress
- Vladimir Prelovac – Improving security in WordPress Plugins using Nonces
- Matt Cutts – Alerting Webmasters to Webserver Vulnerabilities
- WordCamp Toronto 2008 – WordPress Security with Mark Jaquith
- Weblog Tools Collection – Maximum WordPress Security
- Weblog Tools Collection – Fake WordPress Site
- Technorati – Vulnerable WordPress Blogs Not Being Indexed
- Mark Jaquith – US Government Agencies Using WordPress
- Lorelle on WordPress – WordPress Security Prevention, Reactions, and Scares
- Blog Security – WordPress Security Predictions in 2009
- Arachna – Fear, Uncertainty and Disinformation About The WordPress Exploits and Spam
- Lorelle on The Blog Herald – WTF Blog Clutter: The Death of the CAPTCHA
- Daily Blog Tips – Make Sure Your WordPress is Not Hacked
- Donncha – There’s Never Been A Better Time To Upgrade WordPress
- Blog Security – Interview of a WordPress Hacker
- Noupe – WordPress Security Tips and Hacks