There are a lot of new features and improvements, including the new interface. For examples, screenshots, video, and information on the new WordPress 2.7 version, see WordPress 2.7 Release News and Links, Countdown to WordPress 2.7 and WordPress 2.7 Hits WordPress.com Thursday, December 4, 2008.
WordPress.com has been running WordPress 2.7 for a week across almost 5 million blogs and the response has been incredibly positive. Old users are finding the learning curve almost non-existent and new users are embracing it.
The hard work done by all of the development team, especially by Jane Wells who lead the conversion to the new interface, deserves some serious rounds of applause.
For those concerned about upgrading to WordPress, and how often those updates occur, take a step down memory lane with Justin Tadlock in “Be Thankful WordPress Gets Updated.” He takes you through the various versions and why we should be so thankful for the most current versions, considering the path it took to get here.
Upgrade WordPress Now!
Unlike previous versions where it’s a good idea to wait, I recommend upgrading to WordPress 2.7 now. It is very stable and has been well tested on WordPress.com. It also includes the latest security updates. Once installed, it will notify you for automatic upgrades, making the upgrade process incredibly easy.
If you are using one of the Release Candidates, the upgrade announcement should be on your blog. Follow the extended upgrade instructions. In the past, it was highly recommended that you turn off all WordPress Plugins before upgrading. WordPress 2.7 will automatically put WordPress in “maintenance mode” so this step is no longer necessary.
To upgrade from older versions of WordPress, follow the instructions in the WordPress Codex, the online manual for WordPress Users, in Upgrading WordPress. Dependent upon which version of WordPress you are upgrading from, you may or may not have to make changes to your WordPress Theme to accommodate changes in WordPress Theme Template Tags.
If you are worried about whether or not WordPress 2.7 will work with your server, Themes or Plugins, see:
- WordPress 2.7 Core Update Host Compatibility
- WordPress 2.7 Plugin Compatibility
- WordPress 2.7 Theme Compatibility
Don’t wait. It is critical that you upgrade WordPress now for the following reasons:
- Future upgrades will be easier.
- Your blog will be protected from security vulnerabilities.
- It features easy WordPress Theme and Plugin upgrades, additions, and news.
- Some search engines and directories are considering penalizing page rank or not indexing old versions of WordPress due to security vulnerabilities and failure to upgrade (few spam sites upgrade). For more information, see Technorati: Vulnerable WordPress Blogs Not Being Indexed, Matt Cutts: Alerting Webmasters to Webserver Vulnerabilities, Fear, Uncertainty and Disinformation About The WordPress Exploits and Spam, and WordPress Security Prevention, Reactions, and Scares.
Upgrade to WordPress 2.7 now.
Site Search Tags: wordpress news, wordpress versions, wordpress 2.7, wordpress 2.7 available, upgrade wordpress, reasons to upgrade wordpress, wordpress security, upgrade now, upgrade, upgrade news, upgrade tips, wordpress codex, wordpress upgrade