The Reader Appreciation Project has a transcript of Liz Strauss at WordCamp Dallas, along with the video. Her presentation was about the blog conversation and social networking, her claim to fame. She cemented that fame with the number 60,317. That’s the number of comments on her blog.
One of the points she made resounded with the participants like a bell. Many talked about it through the rest of the weekend:
You know, and the truth is we really can’t talk without talking about ourselves whether we’re talking about how we like this vase, or how we like Lorelle, or how we like WordPress. We’re talking about ourselves.
Whenever we say we’re talking about ourselves, we’re revealing something about ourselves. But it’s how we reveal it.
But when we ask our readers, “How’d you like this blog post we just did?” “How’d you like what I just did?” “How did you like what I just wrote?” We think we’re asking them about them. But we’re really asking them about ourselves.
And we need to be really careful that we know the difference.
Bloggers across the room sat back and realized that their blog is all about “them” and not the reader. It’s all about, as Liz explains, asking about how we are doing rather than turning things around to put the reader first.
Liz is the producer and founder of Successful and Outstanding Bloggers Conference (SOBCON). The next event is May 2-4 in Chicago, and there is still time to register for her Business School for Bloggers theme.
Go read, listen, or watch her WordCamp Dallas talk. Liz was recovering from a disease left over from SxSW (I guess everyone got sick there), but lean in and listen to her husky voice to get your ears, and brain, open about why you are really blogging and how to make it work for you. 60,000 comments is a high goal to achieve, and she’s the one to mentor you towards your goals.
- Lorelle in Chicago Next Week at the Successful and Outstanding Bloggers Conference
- Lorelle in Chicago at Successful and Outstanding Blog Conference
- SOBCon 2007 Remembered and Recommended
- Liz Strauss Guides Lorelle on a Quest To Find Her Passion
- SOBCon: Be There for the Business of Blogging!
- 24 Reasons Why You Should Attend These Blog Conferences
- Authority Blogger Contest – Win Free Trip to SOBCON08
- Looking For New Places to Take Your Blog Out
- $2,000 in SOBCon+Consulting Prizes to be Won
- What Do You Bring to a Blog Conference?
- How to Talk to a Blogger
- What Gives You The Right To Tell Me?
- Business School for Bloggers: How to Make Money With Your Blog
Site Search Tags: blog events, wordcamp, wordcampdallas, wordcampdallas2008, wordcamp dallas, wordpress event, liz strauss, successful blog, sobcon, successful and outstanding bloggers, blog conversation, blog comments, how to get comments