This week’s Weekly Digest is going to be a quick one, which I’m sure many will appreciate. I’m in Texas for WordCamp Dallas all weekend and so thrilled be surrounded by everyone talking about WordPress and blogging. I’m in heaven!
Live near Pasadena? I’ll be there April 2 for the Alliance for Distance Education in California talking to educators on blog technology and the social web. I think there are only a couple spots open.
I hope to see you in Chicago in May for the exciting Successful and Outstanding Bloggers Conference. The theme is “Biz School for Bloggers” and we’re going to be presenting the best of the best in the business of blogging. Liz Strauss just announced that the special price of USD $350 is ending April 1. And Chris Garrett, BlogCatalog, and Authority Blogger is offering a $2,000 consulting prize package as part of the SOBCon promotion. So many exciting things are coming together for this very special event, my favorite of the whole year. You’re going to regret missing this special event.
So help spread the word that I’m coming to Dallas, Pasadena, and Chicago and make plans yourself to attend. Hugs for everyone!
This is the Weekly Digest from Lorelle on WordPress. To subscribe to the Weekly Digest category of Lorelle on WordPress, you can subscribe by the Weekly Digest feed or by email with the Weekly Digest Email Subscription to stay up to date on what is happening in Lorelle’s world of WordPress and blogging.
The last issue of my weekly digest was Weekly Digest: Lorelle in Oklahoma with Family, Heading to WordCamp Dallas, WordPress 2.5, SOBCON, and More News if you want to catch up. If you do catch up, would you catch me up, too. I’m moving so fast I’ve forgotten where I’ve been!
WordCamp Dallas This Weekend: I’m here in Dallas for WordCamp Dallas this weekend and today is the final day for registration which is required. It is going to be a jammed packed three days! Probably without sleep. The line up of speakers is tremendous and includes some top multimedia, WordPress Plugin and Theme experts, and other top bloggers and industry leaders.
See Lorelle in Action: If you can’t make it to WordCamp Dallas or any of the other upcoming events, you can see me in action at last year’s WordCamp in San Francisco talking about the blog conversation and content. This weekend’s event will be recorded on video and hopefully uploaded next week.
Alliance for Distance Education Summit: I’m really looking forward to the Alliance for Distance Education in California summit on April 2-5, 2008, in Pasadena. It will cover integration of web technologies into the classroom and distance education. The summit is open to the public and educational professionals, teachers, and leaders. I just checked with the officials and there are only a few slots open. If you wish to attend, even for a day, register now as I believe it might be sold out.
SOBCon 2008: SOBCon: Be There for the Business of Blogging! I will be there, will you? The Successful and Outstanding Bloggers Conference is one of the hottest events for bloggers. The best of the best gather and I’m so honored to be one of the lucky ones. It’s in Chicago on May 2 – 4, 2008. There is limited space available so register fast.
Interview on Blogger Talks: An interview I did recently with Blogger Talks is out: The Lorelle Story: An Interview with Lorelle VanFossen. It covers some of my web history, predictions on the future of the web and blogging, and a plea for new web technologies to make the web an easier place to blog and network.
Blogger and Podcaster Magazine: Blogger and Podcaster Magazine will feature me as a regular columnist this year. Get your issue in stores now, online, or subscribe. There are some very hot articles on blogging and podcasting. They are improving their website and I’ll be recording podcast versions of my articles so you can hear as well as read me.
What’s Happening with Lorelle on WordPress
Here’s the latest blog posts on Lorelle on WordPress.
- What You Need To Know About WordCamp Dallas offers up the things I had to know about attending WordCamp Dallas this weekend, so I thought someone else would need to know them, too.
- Guest Bloggers Wanted for Tony Hung’s Blog describes an offer by Tony Hung, popular blogger and former editor of the Blog Herald, and his need to find good guest bloggers while he is going into a major round of testing and sleep-deprived weeks as part of his doctor’s training. If you want a place to share your voice with the world and set an example of how good you blog, go find out what he’s got going on!
- Authority Blogger Contest – Win Free Trip to SOBCON08 covers a very exciting new contest worth over $2,000 and a trip to Chicago for the Successful and Outstanding Bloggers Conference in May.
- Weekly Digest: Lorelle in Oklahoma with Family, Heading to WordCamp Dallas, WordPress 2.5, SOBCON, and More News was last week’s attempt to sum up my online life.
- Bloggers Ask Bloggers To Help With Gmail is a request to bloggers to help us make Gmail, a popular email service for bloggers, be more efficient for bloggers.
- Blogging Resources: Business and Professional Resources and References for Bloggers and Writers is the latest installment in my series on blog resources, the resources I use to help me blog better and faster.
- WordPress 2.5 New Automatic Plugin Upgrade Problems addresses an issue of concern for many in the WordPress Community. Will this feature be ready for WordPress 2.5?
- 24 Reasons Why You Should Attend These Blog Conferences highlights the top speakers and reasons you should attend WordCamp Dallas, the Alliance for Distance Education in California, and Successful and Outstanding Bloggers Conference, and any and all blogging conferences.
Get The Book – Blogging Tips: What Bloggers Won’t Tell You About Blogging
My book, Blogging Tips – What bloggers won’t tell you about blogging, is selling fast, as people prepare for a price increase coming in May. Get your copy now before the price goes up.
Blasts From the Past
Here are some blasts from the past especially for WordPress.com bloggers. I wrote a series of articles that addressed the issues of making your blog posts “fancy” with some fun content area HTML tips and tricks:
- Link Referrals – Linking to Site Search Tags
- How Much Will You Accept To Put Ads on Your Blog?
- Not Just Another “Top Lessons for Bloggers”
- Lorelle Live at WordCamp 2007
- Nine Years Writing: How I Generate Writing Concepts, Tools, and Strategies I Use
Blog Herald Columns
The past few weeks, I’ve been writing about blog conferences as well as other interesting news about WordPress 2.5. If there is a blog conference, or any web publishing and technology conference within a few hundred miles of you, go there. Attend. Talk. Meet. Greet. It will change your life and your blogging.
Come visit my work there and the other regular contributors covering fascinating blogging issues and news, and subscribe to the Blog Herald feed.
Recent articles on the Blog Herald included:
- Drilling Down Your Blogging Niche? A lot of people have a great idea for a blog, but they have just skimmed the top. I talk about how to dig down further into the concept idea to find the real purpose for your blog.
- Blogging is About Writing – and Not looks at that you really need to know and do as part of blogging – beyond the writing.
- How to Talk to a Blogger is another article on blog conferences and meeting bloggers, offering tips on the kinds of questions we would rather be asked other than “What do you blog about?”
- What Do You Bring to a Blog Conference? This article asks you what you need to bring to a blog conference to make the experience memorable, for you, but also for others so they will remember you long after the conference.
- Bird Feeders and Blogs: How Are You Luring Birds to Your Blog? was an interesting metaphor article using bird feeders to get you to think about what “food” you are offering your “birds” (readers) to keep coming back to your blog bird feeder.
- What Will You Not Blog About explores the line we put in our blogging sand box about what will will and will not blog about. What is the line you draw?
- WordPress Wednesday News: WordPress 2.5 Due Any Day, Beta 2 Released, Many Plugins Updated, WordCamp Dallas This Weekend, WordCamp UK Suggested, and More
- WordPress Wednesday News: Sneak Peeks of WordPress 2.5, Beta Released, WordCamp Dallas Next Week, and More WordPress News
- WordPress Wednesday News: WordPress 2.5 Due March 17, Administration Plugins May Break, Tons of Plugins Updated, Add Buttons to Toolbar, WordPress Dallas and Now Milan!
- WordPress Wednesday News: WordPress 2.5 Next Week, WordPress Goes Social, Cleaning Out Splogs, and More WordPress News
Blasts from the Past of Blog Herald Posts
I’ve been writing for the Blog Herald for a year now, and here are some of the articles I’ve covered dealing with comments and comment spam.
- Busting Blog Ad Clutter
- Bloggers Who Blame Don’t Change Things
- If You Can’t Say Anything Nice, Come Blog By Me
- What Should Bloggers Apologize For and How?
This is the Weekly Digest of Lorelle on WordPress.
Subscribe to Lorelle on WordPress Weekly Digest Weekly Digest Email Subscription
Subscribe to Lorelle on WordPress Via Feedburner Email Subscription
Copyright Protected and Reserved – If you are reading this post outside of your feed reader or Lorelle on WordPress, the usage of this content is a violation of copyright and the DMCA. Please report it immediately so action can be taken against them. If you are using this content illegally, and you know who you are, consider this a cease and desist order.
Lorelle VanFossen is a member of WordPress, WordPress.com, the 9Rules Network, and author of Blogging Tips, What Bloggers Won’t Tell You About Blogging.