Malaysia Can Blog’s Ultimate Guide to Getting Lots of Link Love is a collection of posts about getting links to and from your blog that is a wonderful collection, but I love the point the author makes in the introduction:
Quite frankly, there are four compelling reasons to care about “little links”:
* Little links can turn into big links. One of my top referrers of all time, Steve Olson, linked to me in the fourth post he wrote. His blog has grown so big that this post still sends me consistent traffic to this day, and we’ve become great friends in the process.
* Technorati. If the A-Listers only had links from A-Listers, they wouldn’t BE A-Listers!
* The long tail of referring domains. If I added up all of the referrals from domains that sent less than 4 people a week to my site, together they would be my fourth largest source of traffic.
* Google only loves you when everyone else loves you first. (Rather shallow of them don’t you think?!)
I don’t advocate spending tons of time in the pursuit of mass quantities of links from small sites. I do advocate spending a little bit of time each month cultivating links from a wide variety of sources, regardless of the amount of traffic potential.
I’ve long been a promoter of linking with purpose, not attention-getting. Link with intent, not for Google link juice. The attention and respect you get from readers, search engines, and other bloggers increases when you give your links the integrity and respect they deserve.
More importantly, you never know when you will change a life with a link.
- Changing a Life With a Link
- How People Search the Web and How They Can Find Your Blog
- Do-It-Yourself Search Engine Optimization Guide
- The Magic and Fun of Incoming Links
- The Power of the Link
- Hook, Line and Sinker: Luring Blog Traffic to Stay
- Linkers Losing Out With Link Lackluster
- Do You Need Permission to Link to Someone’s Content?
- Do I Need to Ask Permission to Put a Blog in My Blogroll?
- How NOT to Comment on Comments
- How Do You Know If a Blog Has Integrity?
- How Not to Tick People Off and Keep Them Coming Back For More
- Echo Chamber: 10 Tips on Blogging Original Thoughts Originally
- Link Etiquette: You Do Not Need Permission to Link
- I Love Your List! I’m Going To Copy It!
Copyright Lorelle VanFossen, member of the 9Rules Network, and author of Blogging Tips, What Bloggers Won't Tell You About Blogging.