The following excerpt is from Blogging Tips, What Bloggers Won’t Tell You About Blogging by Lorelle on WordPress.
The ideal blog design is one that:
- Downloads in less than 10 seconds.
- Never requires scrolling left or right or resizing the window.
- Limits up and down scrolling.
- Contains easy to find navigation.
- Features design elements in common and familiar locations.
- Prints beautifully.
A good blog design must include the following:
- Blog Title: A consistent blog title on every page of your blog reminds the visitor where they are and what your blog is about.
- Home Link: Help the reader find the front page of your blog easily. Designers often make the blog title and/or header art or logo clickable to the blog’s front page.
- Search Form: The gateway to finding information on your blog from any page.
- Showcase Categories/Tags: Information on a blog is grouped by categories and tags, displaying related content together.
- Information Links: Links to your About and Contact pages quickly direct your readers to learn more about you and your blog, as well as how to contact you.
- Link to a Site Map/Archives: Your blog’s site map is its table of contents, directing readers to more information through a topical list of your blog posts.
- Show Intent: Show the intent and purpose of the blog quickly through graphics and text.
- Be Readable: It must be readable with no interference between the reader and the content.
This is an excerpt from Blogging Tips, What Bloggers Won’t Tell You About Blogging by Lorelle on WordPress. For more information on the book and ordering, see Blogging Tips.
Site Search Tags: blogging tips, blogging tips book, blog design, blog design elements, best blog design elements, web design, theme design, lorelle, lorelle vanfossen
Copyright Lorelle VanFossen, member of the 9Rules Network
Subscribe Via Feedburner Subscribe by Email