I’m seeing a lot of blogs, especially those on WordPress.com, with a similar syndrome. So much so, I think it’s contagious.
Are you uncategorized?
Are your posts uncategorized? Do you have a lot of blog posts labeled “uncategorized”, just sitting there without a category to call their own? Have you abandoned your posts?
Categorizing your posts improves your blog in many ways:
- Categorizing like-content helps readers find related information faster and easier.
- It helps you monitor the subjects you write about.
- Counting how many posts are within a category, you have an idea of the most popular types of things you blog about, or what you aren’t blogging enough about.
- You create a “body of work”, a collection of related information, which readers and search engines love.
- Search engines love categories. They are a sign of an organized blogger and another keyword to track.
- WordPress turns categories into tags, and tag services collect them for searchers and tag watchers.
If your the only tag on your blog is “Uncategorized”, and you want inclusion and coverage by Technorati, your blog posts will be sitting in their Uncategorized Tag page. Would your post be in good company there? As I write this, 10,284,483 blog posts are listed as uncategorized by Technorati. When was the last time you even looked for the tag or search term “uncategorized”?
Categorize your posts. Give them a place to call home and good friends for company. And help your posts get found.
- Tags and Tagging in WordPress
- Categories versus Tags – What’s the Difference and Which One?
- The Problems With Tags and Tagging
- Categories versus Tags: Defining the Limitations
- Putting Some Thought Into Blog Categories and Tags
- Tags Are Not Categories – Got It?
- Playing Tag With WordPress
Site Search Tags: categories, category, post category, post categories, tags, post tags, tag, uncategorized, uncategorized posts, categorize blog posts, body of work, search engines, seo, categories and tags, category and tag
Copyright Lorelle VanFossen, member of the 9Rules Network
Subscribe Via Feedburner Subscribe by Email