I went through the Page slugs for a few of my pseudo-static pages such as About Us and Contact, and decided to shorten the Page slugs. For example, I wanted the Page titled “All About Us” to have a permalink URL of
Everything went fine until I decided to change:
I thought it was a nice move, shortening the name and URL. However it backfired.
The problem is that I have a directory for
http://example.com/gallery. Inside the directory are all the image files for my gallery Page.
Click on the Gallery link and it displays the file list of all the files within that folder. It certainly wasn’t the pretty gallery design and collection of images on a Page I’d so carefully crafted.
I went back in to the WordPress Pages panel and changed the post slug back. Once again, visitors can see pretty pictures on a web page not a list of files.
Take care in choosing your Page slugs in WordPress or other blogging programs which use permalinks. If they match your file directory, you could be showing off more than you want people to see. When you change the Page slugs, test them thoroughly to make sure they go where you want them to go.
- WordPress Pages: Exploring the Pseudo-Static Pages of WordPress
- Do-It-Yourself Search Engine Optimization Guide
- Getting Under the Skin of the htaccess File
- Creating a “Bad Code Day” Error Message for Your Blog
- Customizing Your WordPress Quicktag Buttons
- Comment Live Preview Placement
- WordPress Administration Panel Confusion – Changing the wpadmin.css
- Why I Choose WordPress as My CMS
- What I Needed to Learn About WordPress
- Using Author Template Tags Outside of the WordPress Loop
- WordPress Category Feed Links in Your Post Meta Data Section
- Display Post Excerpts Only in WordPress
- Genealogy Blog: Blog Contributors – Wanted Dead or Alive
Site Search Tags: wordpress tips, wordpress help, permalinks, URL, wordpress permalinks, folder links, wordpress pages, wordpress page links, page slugs, post slugs, page name slugs, page URL, page links
Copyright Lorelle VanFossen, member of the 9Rules Network Subscribe