Whiiiiiiinnnnneee! Why don’t more websites and blogs have feeds? Don’t you know what a feed is yet?
Feeds are wonderful things. They allow us to keep up with the Joneses through our feed readers, bringing the latest updated information from a blog or website to our doorstep.
Unfortunately, not every website or blog has a feed. BUT! There is a way around this horrid lack of feeds.
To use these, go to the news search engine of your choice and type in the search term that will get you that person or site. For our example, let’s set up a custom feed for “Matt Mullenweg”.
Type in “Matt Mullenweg” with or without the quote marks. If it comes up “We did not find results…” ignore it and look for the View as RSS, XML, Atom, RSS, or similar links or logos. Click on these, or right click and copy and paste these feed links into your feed reader, and you have a custom feed for that search combination.
You can limit the keywords to only include information for a specific site, but often you will get other off-site search results included. Still, it might help you track information about what others are saying about this person or website.
To help you out with my own blog, Lorelle on WordPress, here are the list of feeds you can use to track what’s being said on and what is being said about “Lorelle on WordPress”:
- Lorelle on WordPress site feed
- Lorelle on WordPress Feedburner Feed
- Lorelle on WordPress Google News (RSS)
- Lorelle on WordPress Google Blogsearch (RSS)
- Lorelle on WordPress – Yahoo News
And for a list of tons of feeds and resources to monitor for blog stories and content, check out Hundreds of Resources for Finding Content for Your Blog – Tracking Stories.
- Don’t You Know What a Feed Is Yet? Get To Know Your Feeds!
- One Year Anniversary Review: What are Feeds?
- Benefits and Uses of Website Feeds
- Customizing Your Feed Titles
- Dig Up Feeds with a Keyword-Based RSS Feed Generator
- Adding RSS Feeds to WordPress
- FeedBurner Announces New Interactive RSS Service
- Ads on Feeds
- The Birth of RSS
- My Daily Tasks With WordPress
- Blogging Tips – Hundreds of Resources for Finding Content for Your Blog
- Like Owner Looks Like Dog, Do You Look Like Your Aggregator?
- Feed Your Ego – Literally
- Beauty is Only Skin Deep: Designing Blogs For Feeds, Search Engines and Audience
- Playing with WordPress.com New Sidebar Widgets and Feeds
- WordPress.com Widgets – Customizing Your WordPress.com Theme Sidebar with Feeds
- Customizing RSS Feed Links for WordPress.com and WordPress Sidebar Widgets
- Create RSS Feeds on Any Web Page
- Using Your Feeds for Story Ideas
Site Search Tags: feeds, what are feeds, custom feeds, websites without feeds, blogs without feeds, how to make a feed, make a custom feed, feed tips, feed help, blogging tips, blog tips, blog help, blogging help
Copyright Lorelle VanFossen, member of the 9Rules Network