In an interesting discussion on Split Coast Stampers Forum, the old question of whether or not you need permission to link to someone, in your blogroll or otherwise, has come up.
Again, let me make this perfectly clear to everyone. The blog “etiquette” for linking to someone is to link away. You do not need permission to link to another blog or website. Link to them in your blogroll, in content, wherever you want.
What you do need permission for is to copy content from someone else that exceeds fair use. I cover that extensively in What Do You Do When Someone Steals Your Content.
If you link to someone and they ask you to remove their link, then it is polite to do so. It is good manners.
Should you ask permission to link to someone on your blogroll or otherwise? Maybe. It depends upon what you are going to do with that link. Blogroll links are recommendations, encouraging visitors to follow the sites you recommend. If they don’t want your recommendation, you probably don’t want them on your list.
However, if you are using a link to their blog or website in a way that makes you money, takes money away from them, or exploits their site for your own benefit, then I recommend you get permission as the perspective on the outgoing link has changed.
As I’ve said before, if you want to link to this blog, please don’t ask me. I get requests constantly and I can’t keep up with them all. Go ahead. Link away. Abuse me and you’ll hear from me, but for general blogrolls and linking, you have my permission.
- Blog Challenge: Who Is Linking To You?
- Do I Need to Ask Permission to Put a Blog in My Blogroll?
- Do You Need Permission to Link to Someone’s Content?
- What Do You Do When Someone Steals Your Content
- Finding Stolen Content and Copyright Infringements
- The Growing Trends in Content Theft
- Imprisonment for Annoying People Online
- The Power of the Link
- How People Search the Web and How They Can Find Your Blog
- Linkability – Link Popularity
- Traffic Trolls – Creating Controversy to Increase Blog Traffic
Site Search Tags: blog etiquette, blog manners, links, linkroll, blogrolls, permission to link, blogroll permission, getting permission, do I need permission to link
Copyright Lorelle VanFossen, member of the 9Rules Network