Well, it seems that the Wall Street Journal doesn’t have the highest opinion of blogs and blogging. Okay, while it is one person’s opinion published in the Wall Street Journal, that opinion may speak for what a lot of people, and businesses, are thinking.
Steve Rubel’s review of the article sums it up quite well, and finds a bit of truth in the blog bashing criticism:
Joseph Rago, an assistant editorial features editor at The Wall Street Journal, has published a scathing op-ed that calls bloggers fools that are read by imbeciles. He posits that we “ride along with the MSM like remora fish on the bellies of sharks, picking at the scraps.”
Well, my fellow “imbeciles,” (geez is that strong or what?) if there’s one point here it is that too often we rely on the mainstream media as our air supply. Perhaps it’s time we start spotlighting some new, emerging voices and skip the papers for a bit. I am getting a little tired of the same people linking back and forth to each other and to the same stories.
I’ve talked before about the issue of the “echo chamber”, where blogs just blockquote and echo what a few bloggers say. Stop that.
There are so many bloggers out there with something to say and something worth reading. Dig around and look at all the possibilities for content and all the original thinkers out there and pay attention to them.
Why not make it a personal challenge this year to feature a new and different blogger once a month on your blog? If you blog a lot, why not once a week?
And start saying something original for yourself, too.
- Echo Chamber: 10 Tips on Blogging Original Thoughts Originally
- One Year Anniversary Review: Blogging and Blogging Tips
- How to Write Like a Wanker
- Website Development – Keywords Help You Write Your Blog
- How Easy is Your Writing to Understand?
- Horse Sex and What is Dictating Your Blog’s Content?
- Why Do You Blog? Do You Have a Purpose?
- How is Blogging Like Stand-up Comedy
- Wearing Two Hats – Writer or Blogger?
- Blogging Tips – Hundreds of Resources for Finding Content for Your Blog
- Make a Boo Boo. What Do You Do?
- Do You Ever Think About What You Write About?
- Are You Prepared to Prove Your Life?
- When was the last time you read your own blog?
- Using Your Feeds for Story Ideas
- Blogging Yourself Into a Job: Is Your Blog Your Resume?
Site Search Tags: echo chamber, echo chamber blogging, bloggers blogging, wall street journal, blogging review, bloggers review, blogging criticism, blogger criticism, blog writing, writing tips, writing
Copyright Lorelle VanFossen, member of the 9Rules Network