Barry Schwartz of SearchEngineWatch recently highlighted an article by The Washington Post on the “Google Feeling Lucky Button”, pointing out that while the button is rarely used, Google executives understand that removal would bring an onslaught of protest.
But the company has no plans to evict “I’m Feeling Lucky,” which whisks users directly to the top Web page matching their search query, even though this feature faces mounting competition from other Google services that could benefit from display on one of the most precious tracts of Internet real estate.
“If we took it away, there would be mass protests worldwide,” said Marissa Mayer, vice president for search products and user experience. “It’s part of our heritage. It’s part of what users really like about us.”
Do you use the Google “Feeling Lucky” button? The only time I have is when someone has pointed me to a very funny link that consistently turns up like how “miserable failure” used to turn up the George W. Bush official website, and how “white house idiot” used to turn up web pages on George W. Bush, but today turns up this CNN story on the Foley scandal.
Sometimes the Google Feeling Lucky button gets it right. Type in “lorelle” and you will get Lorelle on WordPress, this blog! It used to bring in my main site, Taking Your Camera on the Road, but this site has pushed that one out of the lucky business. Hmmm. ;-)
What does it display when you type in your name? That might be fun. There is a lot of fun you can have with the Google Feeling Lucky button. Got any good ones?
And if you totally ignore it, would you protest if they removed it?
- One Year Anniversary Review: Searching and Search Engines
- Integrating Google Gadgets Into WordPress Themes
- Secret Out – How Google Ranks Websites
- Custom Google Search Feeds
- How People Search the Web and How They Can Find Your Blog
- How Search Engines See, Search, and Visit Your Website
- SEO Secret: Exploring How Search Engines Explore
- See What Search Engines See When They Visit Your Website
- More Than You Want to Know – Search Engine Articles, Information, and Resources
- Google Page Ranks, Google News, Google Gossip, Google Blues
- Search Engine Friendly: Helping Googlebot Crawl Your Blog