It seems as though comment spammers are having a field day. In the past 24 hours, this WordPress.com blog has been hit by hundreds and hundreds of comment spam. Lovely drugs, mortgages, real estate, casinos, and penises. Reports are coming in on the WordPress Support Forum and WordPress.com support forum that blogs are being hit left, right and sideways by comment spam robots.
According to Akismet’s site:
30,946,873 spams caught so far
1,985,833 so far today
For the most part, Akismet, the spam catcher for WordPress.com and many WordPress blogs, has caught most of them. A few have slipped through though. Bad Behavior and Spam Karma are keeping the comment spammers completely away from my full version WordPress blogs.
If you have a WordPress blog and are not on WordPress.com, I recommend you take the following steps immediately to protect your blog against comment spam now. Don’t wait:
- Install Spam Karma WordPress Plugin or Akismet.
- Install Bad Behavior WordPress Plugin, the comment spam prevention.
- Sit back and watch as comment spam goes bye-bye and nuke the few that sneak past your arsenal.
As for those not using WordPress, I hope your blogging tool’s defenses are up and active.
NOTE: While writing this post, 242 comment spam struck my blog. All were caught, save one. Good work, Akismet!
- What is Comment Spam?
- Comments on Comments
- The Day I Looked Forward to Casinos, Drugs, and Penises
- Special Guide to Weblog Comments
- Website Hammered by Hotlinking, Spammers, and Free Loaders?
- Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll Replaced by Sex, Drugs, and Mortgage Rates
- A Day in the Life of a Paranoid Website Administrator
- Katrina Comment Spam Assaults Blogs
- WordPress.com Users Hit By Direct Attack – Stopped in its Tracks
- Mystery Solved: Introducing Akismet Comment Spam Protection
- Americans Spend 40% of Their Time Online Deleting Spam
- Mean Spirited Comments and Blogging
- Comment Spam Fighter Spam Karma 2.1 Released
- Comment Spam Catcher Spam Karma 2.2 Released
- The Attack of the Spam-Bots from Hell
- Spam: Stupid Pointless Annoying Messages in Emails, Comments, and Everywhere
- Comment Spammers Getting Smarter – But Not Smart Enough
- New Comment Spammer on the Loose – Pay Attention
- Comment Spammers Now Using Hebrew to Fool You
- Imprisonment for Annoying People Online