I’ve written about some of the problems I’ve found with tagging, but here is a scientifically written paper on the problems, challenges, and success of tags by D-Lib Magazine called “Folksonomies Tidying up Tags?”
We agree with the premise that tags are no replacement for formal systems, but we see this as being the core quality that makes folksonomy tagging so useful. We begin by looking at the issue of “sloppy tags”, a problem to which critics of folksonomies are keen to allude, and ask if there are ways the folksonomy community could offset such problems and create systems that are conducive to searching, sorting and classifying. We then go on to question this “tidying up” approach and its underlying assumptions, highlighting issues surrounding removal of low-quality, redundant or nonsense metadata, and the potential risks of tidying too neatly and thereby losing the very openness that has made folksonomies so popular.
- A Tagging Bookmarklet for WordPress and wordpress.com Users
- Tags and Tagging in WordPress
- Categories versus Tags – What’s the Difference and Which One?
- The Problems With Tags and Tagging
- Categories versus Tags: Defining the Limitations
- The Ultimate Tag Warrior WordPress Plugin
- Helping the Ultimate Tag Warrior Work with Jerome’s Keywords WordPress Plugins
- Adding Del.icio.us, Digg, Technorati and Slashdot Links to Your WordPress Blog
- Adding Technorati Tags to WordPressMU Sites
- Putting Some Thought Into Blog Categories and Tags
- Tags Are Not Categories – Got It?
- What Do You Blog About? Check Your Tags
- Playing Tag With WordPress
- Top 10 Tips for Technorati Tricks
- Tidying Up Tags – A Technical Review
- Lorelle on WordPress Now Part of Technorati Tools
- Combining Ultimate Tag Warrior With Jerome’s Keywords WordPress Plugins – Meet Tags in the Head
- Link Referrals – Linking to Site Search Tags
- Abuse: Keyword Spamming versus Tag Spamming
Site Search Tags: tag, tagging, category, tags, categories, technorati, technorati+tags, problems+with+tags, problems+with+categories, different+between+tags+and+categories, tags+and+categories, keywords, wordpress, wordpressdotcom, wordpress.com, wordpresscom, help, tips, tip, wordpress+tips, problem, challenge, links, intrasite, instra+site+links, categorizing, categorising
Copyright Lorelle VanFossen, member of the 9Rules Network