It is common knowledge that China has spent billions of dollars on creating the “Great Firewall of China”, known in official circles as the “Golden Shield”. This is essentially the blocking, mostly by keyword, of information the Chinese government feels is “unhealthy” for its citizens. This can range from political dissent to pornography.
Within the “Golden Shield”, China monitors and controls content to a large degree, and a number of recent regulations have been issued to refine and strengthen the system…In the most widely quoted section of the new regulations, news websites are strictly forbidden from providing any news content that compromises national security, divulges national secrets, impinges on the country’s social legal rights and interests, destroys the country’s unity, or includes any information that promotes or relates to pornography, violence, or illegal cults.
For the large and established online media outlets, it was business as usual, and it was clear that the main target of the new regulation was bulletin boards (BBS) like the Yannan forum, as well as blogs, which have enabled the coverage of sensitive events to leak into domestic discourse…Finding it impossible to control the opinions of thousands and thousands of bloggers, it is delegating responsibility to a number of favored internet service companies like Sina, Sohu or Bokee, who will employ a system of self-censorship and delete posts that might be regarded as offensive or politically sensitive…
…The recently released internet news rules are an attempt to bring independent blogs and bulletin boards under the aegis of the country’s news management system, but they have not sealed the leaks, and overseas-registered websites still continue to publish rumors directly from the sources of Chinese dissent.
Helping you learn more about blogging and WordPress every day with help, tips, advice, and techniques for blogging and using WordPress and WordPress.com. The blogging help you need. Now.
- What Do You Do When Someone Steals Your Content
- Adding, Deleting, and Changing a WordPress Category
- Customizing Your WordPress Theme Footer
- How to Install, Configure, and Use WordPress Plugins
- Example of a Perfect Personal Blog
- Step-By-Step Website Development - Check List
- WordPress Tips: Exploring the WordPress Text Widget
- Blogging Tips - Hundreds of Resources for Finding Content for Your Blog
- Do You Need Permission to Link to Someone's Content?
- Learning About Blogging and How to Blog
What’s She Talking About?advice audience blog Blog Challenge blog exercise blog exercises blogger blogging blogging advice blogging help blogging lessons blogging tips blog writing categories comments community community building content copyright css design design tips editing editorial calendar education event events hacked hacking help how to blog how to use wordpress how to write html images inspiration interactivity learn wordpress lessons links motivation news planning schedule security security vulnerability seo site customization social social media social web spam tags tips vulnerability Web Design web publishing web writing wordcamp wordpress wordpress.com wordpress design wordpress development wordpress events wordpress guide wordpress help WordPress News WordPress Plugins wordpress school WordPress Themes WordPress Tips wordpress tutorials Writing writing for the web writing tips
- Technical Writing and Writing for the Web
- Workshop: Words and Pictures
- WordPress Basics for Photographers Workshop
- Clark College Offering Two WordPress Classes Starting Now
- WordPress Site Structure and Organization
- Google+ Hangouts For 30 Clicks
- Web Writing: The Editorial Article
- Lorelle Presents Writing with WordPress Workshop in Salem, Oregon
- Troubleshooting Post Content Errors
- Tablets for Educators and Students in College
Read More from Lorelle
Thrashing Spammers Daily