Yahoo has recently announced beta testing of a new feature called Yahoo Site Explorer. The goal of the site is to help you search all the posts and articles within a specific site that are in Yahoo’s database, and “view the most popular pages from any site, dive into a comprehensive site map, and find pages that link to that site or any page.” I decided to take it for a ride on this site and my main site, Taking Your Camera on the Road, to compare how it does against other resources.
Lorelle on WordPress is two months old and currently has 138 posts. According to Yahoo Site Explorer, Yahoo has found 90 web pages and 292 “inlinks”, which I believe are incoming links to the site. According to Yahoo, the top ten posts on this site are:
- What can you do with wordpress.com
- Lorelle on WordPress
- Technorati BlogFinder – Add Your Blog
- Website Hammered by Hotlinking, Spammers, and Free Loaders?
- Navigating Your WordPress Site
- WordPress.com Buzz
- What I needed to learn about WordPress
- Upping the Ante on wordpress.com Invites
You’ll find the top 10 posts from my own site statistics in the sidebar – and they don’t quite match. But that is probably what Yahoo records as the most visited from their search results.
Taking Your Camera on the Road is over 10 years old but has undergone 3 domain name changes, the latest one year ago. There are 768 posts. Yahoo Site Explorer lists 6,064 pages and 24,806 incoming links. The top ten posts on the site according to Yahoo Site Explorer are fairly close to my own site statistics and they are:
- Taking Your Camera on the Road
- CSS Unleashed – Experiments with CSS Designs
- Business of Nature Photography
- Popups, Spammers, Spyware, Gator, GAIN, and Adware
- File Sharing – Kazaa, Kazaa Lite, eDonkey, Bit Torrent, LimeWire, and More
- Telling Zone – Telling Stories of Life on the Road
- Traveling Smoke-Free
- Bad Behavior Stats in the WordPress Admin Dashboard
- Learning Zone – Learning Photography and Website Development
- CSS Unleashed – Experiments Showcasing Your Photography
Here is a quick comparison. It looks like Yahoo’s new Site Explorer gives a pretty good report.
|Yahoo Site Explorer||Google Blogsearch|
|Pages in Database||90||850||20|
|Pages in Database||6,064||32,700||20|
So my little comparison shows Yahoo Site Explorer to be fairly helpful to determine the number of pages Yahoo has found on my sites and gives a good reference of incoming links. But the promotion of the site’s features includes a comprehensive site map which I haven’t found, though I imagine the links to the pages are some form of site map. I’d like to see a lot more improvements and information such as how the site compares with others, top keyword results, and visitors scores. Right now, Yahoo Site Explorer is just another link popularity testing site.