In my Blog Herald WordPress News, I used to feature a round-up of WordPress-related podcasts and fan blogs offering great tips and useful information on using WordPress from the beginner level to advanced techniques. I’ve decided to continue this tradition here on Lorelle on WordPress.
Every week or so, I’ll publish a Round WordPress post featuring highlights and most recent articles by some of the top WordPress blogging experts. I encourage you to visit these blogs and add them to your feed reader as they continue to provide invaluable WordPress tips, techniques, news, resources, and information.
This week, the talk around the WordPress Community is fired up over the discussion started by Weblog Tools Collection on retiring the Kubrick/Default WordPress Theme, Google/WordPress Summer of Code, WordPress 2.8, voting for new WordPress IRC ops and moderators, and the new WordPress Widget API.
WordCast: The WordCast features news, interviews, and great laughter on WordPress-related topics. This week’s episode is WordCast 49: Barbaric Blog Herald Barrage with Lorelle VanFossen as guest co-host, covering the delay of WordPress 2.8, WordPress/Google Summer of Code 2009, WordCamp Toronto’s efforts to involve their community in their WordPress Event, Celebrity Pressers help needed for Blog Herald WordPress News, WordPress for iPhone, contributing to WordPress, the Making of WordPress.tv, and more tips and news on WordPress.
WordPress Fan and Expert Blogs
- WordPress shortcode to display related posts
- How to: Show related posts without a plugin
- How to: Resize images on the fly
- How to: Force using SSL on wp-admin directory
- How to: Display your most popular content in your blog sidebar
- How to: Display the number of results in WordPress search
- How to: Allow your visitors to send your articles by email to their friends
- WPWeekly Episode 48 – Interview With Joost De Valk
- WordPress Plugin Readme Generator
- Where To Draw The Line With Support Models
- Vote For WordPress In Webware 100
- Vote For New WordPress IRC Channel Ops
- Vladimir’s Plugin Developer Tips
- Since When Has Matt Been Right Anyway
- Leland Returns! ThemeLab To Continue
- If CMS’s Were Operating Systems
- Automattic ALMOST Acquired At One Point
- Addicott Web Suggests 6 More Plugins
- Optimize Your WordPress Database with Optimize DB WordPress Plugin
- Tools & Resources for Multi-Author WordPress Blogs
- How To: Prevent Images from Being to Large
Featured WordPress Fan Blog
If you aren’t familiar with our WordPress experts and fans up north, check out Planet WordPress Canada, an aggregator similar to WordPress Planet, the official WordPress aggregator, dedicated to Canadian WordPress experts.
Here are some highlights published recently on the aggregator.
- [BlueFur.com Web Hosting] WordPress Wednesday: Revision Control
- [BlueFur.com Web Hosting] WordPress Development: Creating Top-Level Menu Items
- [BlueFur.com Web Hosting] WordPress Wednesday: Page Management
- [See How Two] Unschedule a post so it will publish immediately
- [See How Two] Change the colour of an individual text link
- [See How Two] Create a link within the text of posts or pages
- [See How Two] Flowing text around images in posts or pages
- [RiteTurnOnly.com] Hide Themes When Using Theme Switcher Plugin
- [RiteTurnOnly.com] WordPress Magazine Themes Revisted
- [RiteTurnOnly.com] Keep Your Images In Check
- [RiteTurnOnly.com] Twitter Meets WordPress
- [RiteTurnOnly.com] Plugin Review: Front-end Editor
Other WordPress Tips and Techniques
Every week I collect WordPress tips and techniques from around the web to publish here and on my @lorelleonwp Twitter daily. Here are some goodies I’ve found recently. They may apply to older versions of WordPress, but they still are helpful articles, probably featuring things you didn’t know you could do with WordPress.
- Get the latest sticky posts in WordPress
- Offline Blog Editing Tools
- Tutorial: A category based archive on WordPress
- WordPress Theme Hacks
- WordPress Tutorial: Hide Posts From Home Page, Only Display In RSS
The WordPress Community generates some of the best WordPress tips, techniques, and resources. If you would like your WordPress tip and technique included in my lists, see Tips For Writing Good WordPress Tips and Writing and Publishing Code In Your WordPress Blog Posts. When its ready, contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Copyright Lorelle VanFossen, member of the 9Rules Network, and author of Blogging Tips, What Bloggers Won't Tell You About Blogging.