The series is stuffed with blogging tips, as well as many tips for using WordPress, both as a replacement for your newsletter and how to use it for a small business or membership association.
Here are some of the specifics I covered.
Converting a Newsletter Into a Blog Series
- Converting a Newsletter Into a Blog: Introduction to the series and covers pulling Page content, semi-static blog content, from the newsletter columns and content, leaving the rest as posts.
- Newsletter to Blog: Turning Article and Reports Into Blog Posts: Covers determining which content within the blog goes where and how as blog posts rather than newsletter columns. Begins to look at how content is categorized on a blog.
- Newsletter to Blog: Establishing The Post Categories: Moving from newsletter columns to categories for categorizing the blog content was more challenging than originally thought. I cover how the group rearranged and renamed their blog categories in an effort to help members find related content easily, but also help searchers find information of value to them.
- Newsletter to Blog: Converting to Blog Posts Part I: The newsletter was published over the years in Microsoft Word and Publisher, which made converting the newsletter content to blog content a bit frustrating. In two parts, I covered the struggles of the conversion and offered tips to speed up the process.
- Newsletter to Blog: Converting to Blog Posts Part II: Part two on converting the newsletter into blog post content, including a lot of tips for problems that come with the WYSIWYG Rich Text Editor in WordPress.
- Newsletter to Blog: Quoting, Referencing, Citing, and Not Copyright Violating: Members had to be taught how to quote, reference, cite, link, and not violate copyrights as they transferred content from the newsletter to the blog, then continue publishing on the blog.
- Newsletter to Blog: Blogger’s Friend – The Text Editor: Since much of the newsletter content, links, bits and pieces were redundant, I introduced the group to the benefits of using a text editor to help build their blog content.
- Newsletter-to-Blog: Converting Old Newsletters and The Benefits of Conversion: In conclusion, the newsletter team decided to convert their older newsletters into PDF files, and learned a lot of benefits for having a blog compared to just the printed and emailed newsletters, including re-energizing their membership.
Site Search Tags: wordpress tips, blogging tips, newsletter to blog, newsletter publishing, newsletter conversion, convert newsletter to blog, how to blog, membership blogs, group blogs, association blogs
Subscribe Via Feedburner Subscribe by Email
Copyright Lorelle VanFossen, member of the 9Rules Network, and author of Blogging Tips, What Bloggers Won’t Tell You About Blogging.