According to a news story on BBC News, Amnesty International is asking bloggers to show their support for freedom of speech.
The human rights group also wants web log writers to highlight the plight of fellow bloggers jailed for what they wrote in their online journals.
The organisation said fundamental rights such as free speech faced graver threats than ever before.
The campaign coincides with the start of a week-long UN-organised conference that will debate the future of the net.
“Freedom of expression online is a right, not a privilege – but it’s a right that needs defending,” said Steve Ballinger of Amnesty International. “We’re asking bloggers worldwide to show their solidarity with web users in countries where they can face jail just for criticising the government.”
Amnesty International is asking bloggers to highlight other bloggers and publicize cases where freedom of speech is under attack. It wants to make the Internet Governance Forum (IGF) lobby the UN to “act as a debating body for national net policies”, helping bloggers and anyone expressing their “freedom of speech” rights do so without persecution.
I’ve written a lot about the issue of bloggers’ rights and freedom of speech, as well as bloggers persecuted for their words and images, and I think we all need to help this cause.
Your Blogging Challenge this week is to:
Blog about a blogger or individual who has risked their life by expressing their opinion.
- One Year Anniversary Review: Blogging About Bloggers
- Freedom of Speech – Bloggers Legal Rights
- Reporters Without Borders – Handbook for Bloggers and Cyber-Dissidents
- Delaware Supreme Court Extend First Amendment Protection to Online Comments
- Just a Reminder About Freedom: Blogging Comes With a Price
- 10 Things You Need to Know Before You Blog
- Now Blogs Not Safe for Work
- Blogging Threatened by Impending Legislation – Be Warned and Be Armed
- Imprisonment for Annoying People Online
- Big Brother, Government, Corporations, and Perverts May Be Reading Your Blog
- Full Disclosure on Corporate and Commercial Blogs
- US Federal Protection for Political Bloggers
- Michael Crichton – Freedom of Speech vs. Patented Speech
- The Committee to Protect Bloggers – Risking Your Life for Your Words
- Bloggers Make a Difference – Taking On The Auto Industry
- Are Blogs Now News Sources? Google Thinks So
- Ethan Zuckerman: Blog Anonymously with WordPress.com
Site Search Tags: blog challenge, blogging challenge, challenge, freedom of speech, bloggers rights, speak out, freedom of expression, amnesty international, blog news, blogging tips, blog babble, protecting bloggers, bloggers
Copyright Lorelle VanFossen, member of the 9Rules Network