Collin of Blog Review on WordPress.com is making an offer you might not want to refuse. He is offering to review your blog. Here is his explanation:
What qualifies me to review your blog? I can read. I enjoying reading other people’s blogs. I read many many blogs every day…I am “the intended audience”. You put it on the ‘net for people to read. Let me read it and give you my opinion.
Collin offers to examine the layout, web page design (WordPress Theme), structure, and design details, but his main focus is on the content. Be warned, he has a few things that will get you a bad review:
Three things I can’t stand:
1. Laziness of the use of spelling and grammar. The inability to spell I can almost deal with. There are enough spell checkers and online dictionaries that it shouldn’t happen, but I can cope. What I really hate is text speak. It is the work of the devil. Or the 14 year old English teenager. I don’t even “text” in txt spk and there’s certainly no need for it on a blog or website.
2. Autoplay music. If you have it you’re gonna get whacked for it.
3. See 1. I hate text speak that much!
Collin is reviewing WordPress.com blogs to start, though he is probably open to other blogs. The interesting part of reviewing a WordPress.com blog is that once you have reviewed the WordPress Themes for looks and layout, you’ve reviewed them all. There are only so many, so after you’ve poked the Themes, what’s left over?
That’s right. Content. The stuff between the pretty. The reason people “read” your blog. The reason you work so hard on your blog. To share content.
If you want your WordPress Theme reviewed, then post a note on the WordPress Support Forum Your WordPress – Theme Reviews. They will rip and tear your WordPress Theme apart, but ignore content for the most part. For the specifics on what they will review (or not), see WordPress Codex – WordPress Site Reviews.
If you want your content reviewed, a serious look at what you write, how you write, and if you are making your point when you write, then submit your blog for review to Collin at Blog Review and when it’s your turn, you will get your content, and blog, reviewed.
To give you a head’s up, here are a few redundant things he has said so far in his blog reviews you need to know about so you can clean up your act before he reviews your blog:
For the second time in two posts I’m going to start with a question. Who are you? In Mirkwood’s review I linked to Lorelle’s post called Who The Hell Are You. Please go have a read and see if it makes sense. All the reader really knows about you before they dive in (maybe) to your posts is your name.
If you do create an About page, please consider putting a note in with what your blog is about. I know, this sounds strange, but right now I can’t figure out the main focus of your blog. I can see personal, political, religious, patriotic and current affairs posts. I’m not saying that’s a bad thing at all, and I can certainly see that you’re getting a good few hits, I just can’t figure out the main focus of the blog.
And when it comes to posting style, Collin holds back nothing:
The posts themselves can be a little confusing. It took me a few minutes (yep, minutes – not seconds) to figure your writing style to understand the context of some of the posts. That said, there’s nothing wrong with the style. It’s to the point, delivers the facts and does its job. But that’s about all it does. I would like to hear YOUR opinion on a story that you’re covering.
I’m very excited about his reviews and I look forward to watching the interaction as people begin to concentrate on the content and not just the pretty. Pretty is fine, but the content carries a blog without a doubt. Keep up the great work, Collin!
- Judging Blogs by their Post Content Styles
- Touching the Spirit When Blogging
- Define Blogging Success
- When was the last time you read your own blog?
- Blogging Tips – Hundreds of Resources for Finding Content for Your Blog
- Blogging Yourself Into a Job: Is Your Blog Your Resume?
- Ripping the Blogging Mask Off to Find a Real Person
- Blog Writing: I lk yr blg
- How to Write Like a Wanker
- Website Development – Keywords Help You Write Your Blog
- 10 Things You Need to Know Before You Blog
- How to Impress with WordPress
- How to Write Good – Tips For Bloggers on Blogging
- Why Do You Blog? Do You Have a Purpose?
- How is Blogging Like Stand-up Comedy
- Wearing Two Hats – Writer or Blogger?
- The Top 10 Clues That You Are an Amateur Blogger
- Make a Boo Boo. What Do You Do?
- Best Websites for Writers from Writer’s Digest
- How Easy is Your Writing to Understand?
- Prevent Blog Pollution
- Fortune Cookie Blogging
- 20 Answers to the Question What Does It Take to Blog
Site Search Tags: wordpressdotcom, wordpress.com, wordpress, blogs, blog, review, reviews, critic, critique, comments, write, writing, content, writer, blogger, blogging, blog+reviews
Copyright Lorelle VanFossen