The issue of corporate bloggers is a sticky one. Businesses and people who work for business have every right to blog. Their blogging can stick to the company line or not, but company blogs are usually “controlled” by the company. If the blogger can sound off against their company, they usually do so with the company’s blessing. This has worked for Scoble among others.
Still, it got me wondering about how many corporate blogs are out there. Blogging is still fairly new, and the business world was a little late to step into the fad, so I was curious about the numbers today. In an article from the Kansas City Star, “The Bottom Line on Blogging”, some interesting numbers on corporate blogger came to light.
Just as the estimates of bloggers worldwide vary wildly from 8 million to 23 million, there are no hard and fast statistics on corporate blogging.
But blog watchers — and yes, there are blogs that track business bloggers — say 23 of the Fortune 500 companies now have formal blogs. The practice has been institutionalized at companies such as Microsoft and IBM.
Smaller businesses with blogs probably number in the hundreds.
Companies are using blogs to build good will, to push their Web sites higher up on search engine lists and to get consumers talking about their brand…
…More than 2,000 employees blog at IBM. The number is even higher at Microsoft, where Scoble and 2,500 other employees write about their jobs regularly.
The article lists a lot of corporate blogs and bloggers without links to their blogs. If you are interesting in who, what, and how business is blogging, here are the links of those included in the list, and below, lists of other corporate blogs.
- Sprint Business Blog
- Garmin (GPS)
- Fast Lane – GM Blog by Bob Lutz, vice chairman of General Motors
- Boeing 777 Test Pilots Blog
- Monster Blog – Career Advice from Monster Employees
- Google Blog
- Yahoo Search Blog
- IBM Developer Works Blogs
- Duct Tape Marketing by Jantsch
- Stormhoek, Wellington, South Africa, Winery Blog
- Aldo Coffee Blog in Pittsburgh
- Sprint PCS Users Blog
- NutriSystem Food Reviews
- The Rocchi Report for Netflix
- Open for Discussion – McDonalds Blog
Lists of Corporate Bloggers
- Chris Abraham – Big List of Corporate Blogs
- Thirty Thousand Feet – List of Blogs on Aviation for personal and businesses
- What’s Your Brand Mantra – Examples of Corporate Blogs
- CEO Blogs List and Corporate Blogs List on TheNewPR/Wiki
- ProBlogger – List of Business Blogs
- Fortune 500 Business Blog Index
- Common Craft – List of Business Blogs