I’ve talked about Google, how search engines search your site, and how people use search engines to find your site, so check out Scribbling.net’s “Help the Googlebot Understand Your Website, a step-by-step look at how Google’s spider crawls through your blog or site gathering information and storing it in its database for the world to search and find YOU.
When authoring a web site, keep in mind that the Googlebot is software, which means it has a set of capabilities and limitations and algorithms it uses to index content. There are lots of effective ways to trip up the Googlebot and make it impossible for it to index your content. Alternately, the Googlebot can index your site well, and then people will find it when searching for words it contains.
As a web site author, there are a few simple things you can do to help the Googlebot understand your web site as fully as possible.
It is critically important it is to design and develop your website or blog to be as search engine friendly as possible, so here are more articles that might help you learn more about how search engine optimization works.
- DYI Search Engine Optimization
- More Than You Want to Know About Search Engines Articles, Information, and Resources
- How Search Engines See, Search, and Visit Your Website
- How People Search the Web and How They Can Find Your Blog
- Google Page Ranks, Google News, Google Gossip, Google Blues
- Website Development – Search Engine Submission Preparation
- Blog Site Search Engine Submissions
- RSSTop55 – Best Blog Directory And RSS Submission Sites
- Secret Out – How Google Ranks Websites
- Submitting Your Sitemap and Feeds to Google Blog Search and Site Submission
- Blog Maintenance – Check For 404 Page Not Found Errors
- Website Development – What Needs to Be Done and How Much Does It Cost
- Step-by-Step Website Development
- Site Optimization – Checking Loose Links
- Site Optimization: Optimizing Bandwidth and Cleaning Out the Code Closet
- Conquering Site Validation Errors