It is common knowledge that China has spent billions of dollars on creating the “Great Firewall of China”, known in official circles as the “Golden Shield”. This is essentially the blocking, mostly by keyword, of information the Chinese government feels is “unhealthy” for its citizens. This can range from political dissent to pornography.
Within the “Golden Shield”, China monitors and controls content to a large degree, and a number of recent regulations have been issued to refine and strengthen the system…In the most widely quoted section of the new regulations, news websites are strictly forbidden from providing any news content that compromises national security, divulges national secrets, impinges on the country’s social legal rights and interests, destroys the country’s unity, or includes any information that promotes or relates to pornography, violence, or illegal cults.
For the large and established online media outlets, it was business as usual, and it was clear that the main target of the new regulation was bulletin boards (BBS) like the Yannan forum, as well as blogs, which have enabled the coverage of sensitive events to leak into domestic discourse…Finding it impossible to control the opinions of thousands and thousands of bloggers, it is delegating responsibility to a number of favored internet service companies like Sina, Sohu or Bokee, who will employ a system of self-censorship and delete posts that might be regarded as offensive or politically sensitive…
…The recently released internet news rules are an attempt to bring independent blogs and bulletin boards under the aegis of the country’s news management system, but they have not sealed the leaks, and overseas-registered websites still continue to publish rumors directly from the sources of Chinese dissent.
Helping you learn more about blogging and WordPress every day with help, tips, advice, and techniques for blogging and using WordPress and WordPress.com. The blogging help you need. Now.
Read More from Lorelle
- Bye-Bye Facebook: Changes in the World of Social Media
- You’re Invited: Vancouver WordPress Social Meetup October 19
- WordPress and Blogging Workshop in Forest Grove, Oregon
- Research on the WordPress, Web Development, and Web Design Job Market
- What Does WordPress, iThemes, Goodwill, Home Depot, and Target Have in Common? Your Identity and Security.
- WordPress Plugins for Images, Photographs, and Graphics
- How to Install, Configure, and Use WordPress Plugins
- What Do You Do When Someone Steals Your Content
- Customizing Your WordPress Theme Footer
- WordPress Tips: Exploring the WordPress Text Widget
- Adding, Deleting, and Changing a WordPress Category
- Display Post Excerpts Only in WordPress
- Find, Search, Replace, and Delete in the WordPress Database
- Step-By-Step Website Development - Check List
- The 3 Easiest Ways to Speed Up WordPress
What’s She Talking About?advice audience blog Blog Challenge blog exercise blog exercises blog focus blogger bloggers blogging blogging advice blogging help blogging lessons Blogging Tips blog writing categories clark college comments community community building content copyright editing editorial calendar education event events hacked hacking help history how to blog how to use wordpress how to write inspiration interaction interactivity lessons links motivation news planning relationships schedule security security vulnerability seo sharing social social media social web spam stories tags tips trackbacks vulnerability Web Design web publishing web writing wordcamp wordpress wordpress.com wordpress development wordpress event wordpress events wordpress help WordPress News WordPress Plugins WordPress Themes WordPress Tips wordpress tutorials Writing writing for the web writing tips
Thrashing Spammers Daily