Now imagine writing an entry about making contact with a parent after three decades of silence. And now imagine finding someone had slapped an advert for bleach on it. One which made reference to you, and your particular situation, but which still advertised bleach.
Welcome to blogging, 2005.
It’s not just the personal bloggers who have recently found themselves transformed into billboards. You might be writing about politics or technical doodads; you might be talking about many things unrelated to domestic cleaning fluids, and still find your weblog being used to host human-written, customised adverts for a new bottle with a whacky marketing strategy.
For the uninitiated, blogs consist of articles which generally welcome comments. Normally, those comments are from your regular readers; if you’re unlucky, though, they’re from conspiracy theorists, witch-hunters, stalkers, or – worse still – viral marketeers.
Helping you learn more about blogging and WordPress every day with help, tips, advice, and techniques for blogging and using WordPress and WordPress.com. The blogging help you need. Now.
Read More from Lorelle
- How to Install, Configure, and Use WordPress Plugins
- WordPress Tips: Exploring the WordPress Text Widget
- What Do You Do When Someone Steals Your Content
- Customizing Your WordPress Theme Footer
- Blog Exercises: Leave Room for the Reader
- Step-By-Step Website Development - Check List
- The 3 Easiest Ways to Speed Up WordPress
- Blog Exercises: Where You Came From
- How to Remove WordPress.com Ads From Your WordPress.com Blog
- Random WordPress Plugins: Rotating Banners, Header Art, Images, Quotes, and Content on Your Blog
What’s She Talking About?advice audience blog Blog Challenge blog exercise blog exercises blog focus blogger bloggers blogging blogging advice blogging help blogging lessons Blogging Tips blog writing categories comments community community building content copyright editing editorial calendar event events help history how to blog how to use wordpress how to write inspiration interaction interactivity lessons linking links motivation news organization planning readers relationships schedule security seo sharing site maintenance social social media social web spam stories storytelling tags tips trackbacks Web Design web publishing web writing wordcamp wordpress wordpress.com wordpress development wordpress event wordpress events wordpress help WordPress News WordPress Plugins WordPress Themes WordPress Tips wordpress tutorials wordpress upgrade Writing writing for the web writing tips
- What is the Outlook Out Your Window on the World?
- You’ve Been Right All Along
- The Destination Will Lead You Through the Journey
- The First Website Revived
- How to Link to Posts, Pages, Categories, Tags, Authors, and Feeds in WordPress
- WordPress Site Models
- Radical, Activist, Heretic, Visionary, and Queer
- Stats: The Analytics of Reading to the Bottom of the Page
- Is Your Blog Your Resume?
- You Always Come Back to Your Passion
Thrashing Spammers Daily